Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Denver ChopHouse and Brewery

Writing in my Brewery Passport at the Denver ChopHouse and Brewery!

The Brewery

What better way to celebrate 11-12-13!!!!  Last night Russ treated me to an amazing culinar/ beerinary experience.  We had the pleasure of going to the Denver ChopHouse & Brewery on 19th and Blake.  It has an upscale and friendly atmosphere with the added bonus of brewing their own craft beer.  I love the way they made it look like an old style tavern, and they also had some pretty amazing food.



We went there because we wanted to have a nice date night, but also wanted to do what we both love: drink some awesome beer!!!  I always find it frustrating when you go to a "fancy" restaurant and you ask what is on tap and it is always the same big brand name beer companies that every other restaurant has.  I absolutely loved the variety of beer the ChopHouse had to offer.

They had the basic staples like a Pale Ale and several Lagers, but they also were innovated with their Conditioned Stout.  I found it to be just strong enough for the beginning enthusiast to try barrel aged beer, but not so overpowering that it tastes solely of whatever barrel it was Conditioned with.  We were able to try the whole flight of beer that they had at the time and here are my top three favorites:

The Beer

#3:  Dark Munich Lager:  "Styled after the modern Munich-style, this beer is dark amber in color with a predominant malty character and smooth caramel essence."  

Sarah's Brewery Passport entry:  Great Beer!!!  I don't remember the last Mucich Lager that I had!!!  The camel color and aroma makes it appeasing to the palate, and I especially liked the smooth texture.  If I can to choose a smooth texture vs. a crisp one, I would choose smooth every time.  There is something about this beer's aroma that not only tastes good as you drink it, it gives you that same great aftertaste and doesn't leave you mouth dry.  Next time I think I would try this during lunch with their Fish and Chips.  

Russ' Brewery Passport entry:  Picking a number three beer was a difficult decision but the Dark Munich Lager was my third choice as well.  This beer was very well brewed and in the right style.  The aroma was mild and predominately malty which carried into the flavor as well.  Serious caramelly malt tones were obvious in the beer with almost no detectable hop bitterness.  A low level of carbonation helped to accentuate the malts as well.
All the beer!  Except the Red Ale :(

#2:  Wheat Ale:  "This Belgian Style Wit Bier is infused with orange rinds in the brew kettle.  A Belgian Trappist Ale yeast lends to spicy notes of clove and accentuates the fruity character."

Sarah's Brewery Passport entry:  I'm suck a sucker for Wit Beers!!!  This beer in particular was sweet and not too sour.  You could really taste the orange that they ground into the beer.  It had everything that one looks for in a Wit style beer, and it tasted very fresh and not too overwhelming.  

Russ' Brewery Passport entry:  This was my favorite beer of the night!  Well brewed and obviously fresh and crisp.  The Belgian Yeast added a sharp clove flavor that complemented this unfiltered wheat beer.  Very refreshing and easy to drink!

#1: Wild Turkey Barrel Conditioned Stout:  "Austin Nichol's distillery generously supplies The Denver ChopHouse with emptied whiskey barrels which we fill with our oatmeal stout.  The bourbon and oak adds powerful flavors to an already strong ale"

Sarah's Brewery Passport entry: Absolutely loved this beer!!!!  Not so much because I am a barrel aged beer junkie (because honesty I am not) but mostly because it caught me by total surprise!!! Usually when we come across a whiskey beer it is so overpoweringly whiskey that just looks like beer.  This one was way different!  I could actually taste the Stout in the beer, and it was just complimented by the Wild Turkey Whiskey.  I would definitely recommend this beer to anyone that is wanting to try a whiskey barrel aged beer!!!

Russ' Brewery Passport entry:  What she said!  Often times bourbon/whiskey aged beers taste like bourbon or whiskey.  I'm sure there is beer in there somewhere but you wouldn't know it.  The Wild Turkey Stout from ChopHouse used the whiskey to complement the oatmeal stout and was a fantastic combination.  I only wish that the Oatmeal Stout itself was available to try before being aged in a whiskey barrel.  But second place is not bad! 

Overall I had a very romantic and relaxing night with Russ at the ChopHouse.  They were all so friendly and the atmosphere was so pleasant that it just made for the perfect start to the rest of our night.  I would highly recommend this place to my girlfriends that want to go out, but also want to take their man someplace he can also enjoy.  Thank you for reading my blog and Sláinte!!!!  -Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment